Tadig, also spelled tadiq or tadik, means “bottom of the pot” in Farsi. It is the part of the rice that comes out of the bottom of the rice cooker crispy and delicious. Tadig can be made with bread, potatoes, or just rice. You will need a Persian Rice Cooker which has a non-stick internal bowl so that the Tadig comes out easily.
Recipe credit: The Global Foods Online Kitchens
1. Tear lavash bread into pieces or thinly slice potatoes.
2. Arrange the pieces in the bottom of the pot of your Persian Rice Cooker.
3. Pour salt and oil over the layers.
4. Fill the rest of the rice cooker with plain cooked rice or any Persian rice recipe.
5. Cook at least 20 minutes, or longer if you want the tadig to be crispier.
6. When done cooking, put a large plate over the top of the rice cooker and invert the contents onto the plate. Separate the tadig and serve it as an appetizer or along with the meal.